Arboleas is a small town in the Almanzora valley on the banks of the Almanzora river. The old town has cobbled streets and an ancient church, constructed in 1492 by the Cardinal Archbishop of Toledo.
This area has been inhabited since prehistoric times and has a long and interesting history, details of which can be found in the impressive new Town Hall in the higher part of the town. The Moors played a large part in the town's history until 1488 when Arboleas, together with many villages of the area, surrendered to Christian rule, after troops from Lorca won their battle against the Moors. Nowadays, with east access provided by the dual carriageway between Huercal Overa and Baza , many British people & expats have made this small town their home.